"The summer of 1918 found the Baptist Church of Hot Springs without a pastor, at a time when war conditions made it difficult to obtain another minister, and the fuel shortage was hampering public gatherings. The Presbyterians were at that time under the ministry of the Reverend Oliver C. Johnson. The two church groups decided it would be well for them to meet together for services until such time as the Baptists could secure a pastor and there would no longer be a fuel shortage. This they did for a year and a half when Mr. Johnson was called to another field. By this time, the organization was proving what could be accomplished by combining membership and resources."
"The Methodist Church, under the leadership of the Reverend B.F. Donovan, invited both groups to join with them in services for the duration of the summer, with the understanding that any denomination was free to withdraw from the union at any time. The joint services were held in the City Auditorium. The plan worked out so satisfactorily that by the summer's end the three groups agreed that they wished to continue the union."
The inaugural service of The United Churches was held on December 2, 1920. Under the provisions of the constitution, ministers were to be called in denominational rotation.
The United Churches voted unanimously in 1946 to start an immediate church building campaign. The site finally selected was that of the former Methodist Church and the adjoining lots. Ground was broken for the building on Sunday, December 3, 1950 and a year later on December 2, 1951 the cornerstone was laid. Forty-one articles were gathered together and placed in a copper box in the cornerstone. The Hot Springs sandstone for the church was donated by the Airport Committee of the city. Through the hard work of seven men the airport hangar was torn down and the rock hauled to the church building site. The trim of Silverdale limestone, is from Kansas. On Maundy Thursday, April 15, 1954, the first worship service was held in the sanctuary of the new building.